Drain cleaning is an easy and routine way to prevent clogged drains! Clogged drains are a common pesky household problem that often can be solved with a plunger or drain cleaning product. Despite being an easy fix, however, drain cleaning products can cause some serious damage to your plumbing. The chemicals used in drain cleaning products slowly eat away at your pipes and destroy any enamel and expensive finishing in your kitchen or bathroom. Using drain cleaning products is also damaging for your health as they are toxic to inhale and can severely irritate the skin. Worst of all is that a drain cleaning product can only offer a temporary solution for your plumbing troubles.
Why It’s Best to Let the Professionals do Drain Cleaning
Not all clogs are an easy fix, and they’re usually a warning sign for a bigger plumbing problem. If you’re experiencing constant clogging no matter how often you clean your drains, the issue could be much deeper and impossible to reach without professional help. Your house’s sewer line can break, leak, or clog for a variety of reasons. Sewer line repairs are complicated because, without the right tools, it’s almost impossible to find the source of the problem and treat it. A professional plumber will not only clean your drain but ensure your plumbing will work effectively. Here are five reasons why you should leave the drain cleaning to the professionals.
- They prevent serious clogs. A professional plumber will do more than removing the clog or blockage. A drain cleaning product can only reach clogs that are close enough to the drain. A professional drain cleaning involves thoroughly inspecting your plumbing, finding every source of a clog, and clearing out your plumbing of all debris, gunk, and sewage so that your plumbing works effectively.
- It’s fast and effective. A plumber will have the right tools to find the source of the problem, without having to dig up the sewer line or tear down your walls. With a video camera inspection, your plumber can detect the direct source of the problem and treat it without treating the entire sewer line, which saves you time and money.
- Your plumbing lasts longer. The better maintained your plumbing is, the longer it will last. Routinely cleaning your plumbing can prevent clogs and breakages, and having a professional clean your drains will only help to keep your sewer lines clear.
- Removes foul odors. Sewers have a nasty odor that’s almost impossible to get rid of once it’s out in the air. If your home drains are backing up, they can have a variety of nasty particles inside that linger in the line. Particles from rotting food, grease, oil, and other sewer odors can cause disgusting smells to filter into your home. A professional drain cleaning removes any plumbing blockages and keeps your home smelling clean.
- Reduces expenses. Routine plumbing maintenance keeps the expensive repairs at bay. Tree root incursion is one of the most common and expensive of sewer line problems. Trees constantly seek for water and your sewer line is a perfect source. The roots are small enough to squeeze through the joints and connections in your sewer line, and once in, they absorb moisture and expand until the pipe either clogs completely or collapses. Having your plumbing routinely cleaned by a professional, keeps all the impossible to reach debris away, such as tree roots, and saves you the cost of some major repairs.
Knowing When It’s Time to Call a Professional
Some plumbing issues are easy enough to fix on your own, but they can often lead to much more complicated problems. Your plumbing is complicated, and it can be difficult to track where the clog is coming from. More often than not, if you’re experiencing plumbing issues, you’ll need to contact a plumber. Knowing when it’s time to call a professional is important, so here are a few warning signs to watch out for.
- Sewage backups like a bathroom full of dirty sewage.
- Mold, particularly if found on your walls where your line is.
- Slow drains throughout your house.
- Lush lawns and patches of very green grass.
- Foundation cracks, or worse, sinkholes.
- Pests such as rats or insects.
You Can Avoid a Plumbing Catastrophe
The good news is with some routine cleaning and maintenance; you can avoid the nastiest and expensive of plumbing problems. It might sound tempting to use a drain cleaning product when the sink clogs, but it’s only temporary, and it can cause some lasting damages to your plumbing. Not only can a plumber treat your plumbing safely, but ensure that your plumbing works as it should clog free. Don’t hesitate to call and have your plumbing cleaned the right way.
Call Streamline Plumbing & Electric today to schedule your drain cleaning!